Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Patton goes Swimming


Patton goes Swimming
Originally uploaded by sufras.
This past weekend Patton went on an adventure. Camping!! He hasn't been camping since he was about 5 months old. It was cold and snowy, so he didn't get to enjoy all that camping entails. He made up for it this weekend.

Patton went on a few hikes through the woods. Each no more then 2 miles but a lot of very steep hills to help strengthen his hips. He did great. He enjoyed all the smells to be had from the deer to the horse tracks he had to follow. And any other critter that happened along the trail previously. He truly loved these walks. Tongue hanging to the ground, tail wagging and pulling us along to go further faster.

I think, though, Patton's favorite time was when we walked down to the dog beach. The only "swimming" Patton has ever done was with Courtney in physical therapy so we weren't sure how he would react to a lake. He had the place to himself except a few fisherman in canoes a few yards out. (They must have loved us) We left him on his lead since we weren't sure how he would handle all this. He approached the waters edge and thought, "Hey! Another big water bowl just for me!!" and proceeded to take a drink. Since Patton loves sticks we figured let's throw one in and see what he does, not too far out but far enough that he would be in the water. A toss of the stick, Patton's eyes glazed, and ran for the stick. I don't think he realized that the stick was IN water until he landed with a big sploosh. (He likes to pounce on them) With a grab of the stick and a quick bolt out of the water, "What in the world was THAT?" he seemed to look at us questioningly.

We threw in another stick, a little more tentative this time as he went in after it. And that was all it took. By the time we left, he was soaked from head to toe. It was a very windy day thankfully and he was almost dry when we got back to the campsite. He slept very well that night indeed.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Thank you so much for your blog. My beautiful 7 month old puppy is having TPO on Tuesday and I'm anxious about what will happen. Your blog helped me get a idea what we are getting into. I can't wait until my baby is back to being a puppy!!!

Thank you!

Shannon

sufras said...

Welcome! I am glad I could ease what seems like a horrible event. Like you I was terrified when we started our adventure and I found there to be little information beyond the medical lingo. Patton is doing well and if you didn't know he had the surgery you would never tell. He runs and plays like any other dog. Though I hated to put him through everything, in the long run I am glad I did so he can be a normal dog.

All the best, and I hope your puppy's surgery and recovery go as well.

Sue and Patton

Anonymous said...

Hello Again,

Dewey came home from his second surgery yesterday. His spirits are good but his body just isn't there yet. I truly believe being able to see Patton's progress helped me to put things in perspective and not be so scared when dealing with his day to day medications, heat packs, walking with a sling...etc! Now we're just looking forward to his 4 week check up and getting into PT. I located a place to do water therapy with him and a canine swim center after he's all clear. Again, thank you so much for your attention to detail on this website! Best of luck!

Shannon & Dewey

sufras said...

I am so glad things are going well. I found the second surgery was actually harder With the other hip still being weak and unsteady. Water therapy was great for Patton, I believe it really was the best thing in his case, with the right hip being so limited after surgery. It really did get his gait back to what it should be.

Now if I could just keep him out of water.

All the best to you and Dewey. Keep us posted on his recovery and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

All our best,

Sue and Patton

Anonymous said...

Sue and Patton,

Dewey received the go ahead to start water therapy on Wednesday! The 1st hip is almost completely healed and the 2nd is looking really good. Dewey is thrilled to have some additional freedom and to start his short walks. Learning how to walk on the treadmill in the water was interesting. He'd lose interest every once in a while and just float! He loves Miss. Kate his therapist and gets to play in the water twice a week. What a journey this has been! His therapist said he should be back doing his long walks at the park by early fall. I can't wait! Thank you again for your attention to detail on this site. It really has helped me to anticipate where we may have issues. Hopefully after the Oct. 1st x-ray we will be good to go!

Shannon & Dewey

sufras said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your great news. I am so glad Dewey is fast on the mend. Hopefully the X-rays will come back that all is well. I know how nervous you must feel. I couldn't wait but also dreaded that day. I hope your walks are going great, it is so wonderful that this surgery is available to enable these dogs to lead normal playful lives.


Fingers crossed for good news!

Sue and Patton

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays! Dewey had his 1st birthday in November and is doing great. He runs and plays like any other dog and is getting stronger everyday. We're 6 months post op and thrilled to finally be out of the woods. Again thank you for your website...it was so helpful! May Patton have many, many pain free, happy years!!!!

Happy New Year!

Shannon & Dewey