Thursday, December 14, 2006

A week has passed

What a difference a week makes. Patton is doing great. I have begun letting him go up the outside stairs(3 steps) with out the sling and he does it quite well. Going down the steps still makes me a little nervous since he likes to jump down and out on the last one. The journey across the kitchen floor though I still use the sling since I am afraid of his leg sliding out from under him. As I watched him this morning, it dawned on me that when he sits he no longer extends out his left leg like he use to. He is now sitting like a "normal" dog. He always sat with a very "laid" back look. Now his left leg is tucked under like his right and he looks balanced.

I have also begun backing off on the Tramadol. The vet recommended 2-3 pills at a time every 8-12 hours, I only ever gave him 2 at a time every 8 hours and I have backed off to just two 1 pill doses a day. He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. Though I am continuing the Rimadyl 2x a day until he gets his staples out in a week and I can get the ok from our family vet. The exercises prove a little more challenging. He doesn't mind too much the foot and ankle exercises but is fast to pull his leg away from you when you work the hip. Not too big of a deal, I do it when I can. He'll let you straighten the leg forward, then extend it back but then he pulls away. When he tucks up and contracts his leg he is basically finishing off the exercise for me. So one here and there gets it done.

I can tell he is feeling better because as I was doing the dishes I turned to catch him inching his way up on the sofa like he used to do. Kind of like "you don't really see me doing this so nothing to see here, move along." A sharp reminder from me and he slinked his way back onto the floor for his nap. Good dog.

No comments: